The Latest from the LCHS Instrumental Music Program
Mandatory Parent Meeting
Monday, August 20th
7/8 Parents: 6:30pm
9-12 Parents: 7pm
All string instruments are available for rental throughout the year. They have all been recently refurbished and are ready to go. Here is the rental procedure:
- String instruments will be given out after school on Monday, August 20th at 3:15 p.m. in the band room.
- At that time, a check for $200, payable to “LCHS MPA” is due. You will need to hand in the check before you can take the instrument.
- If you are renting 2 instruments, the second instrument is $100.
All Orchestra members must have concert wear for the performances. Please have your returning student try on their concert wear and see if it fits. A Concert Wear fitting day will be scheduled in the next couple of weeks for exchanges and fitting of new students. Keep an eye out for the date.
All Orchestra students/parents must complete the online registration for the LCHS Music Parents Association. The contact information collected will be used to share information with you throughout the year, mainly by email. After you complete the registration, you will have the opportunity to donate to the Music Parents Association. Please remember that the District provides only a very small portion of the funds necessary for a program like ours. The Instrumental Music Program relies on parent donations.
Please read through the Orchestra Syllabus for all information concerning the Orchestra: expectations, grading, and important dates. Please read through with your student and then print, sign, and return the Orchestra Agreement form.
Field Trip Form
Please complete, print, sign, and return the Field Trip form to Ms. Munday. All students must return this form prior to participating in any off-campus Orchestra activities.
All Orchestra Forms are due by Friday, August 31st.
Welcome back Orchestra! We are about to begin a new school year filled with great music and lots of fun! I can’t wait to see everyone again and meet our new members.
Along with our concerts, the Elementary Tour, Disneyland Trip, Winter Retreat, and Festival, we are adding a trip to San Diego, March 22nd-24th, for concerts, clinics, and fun. Our first class will be zero period, 7:30am on Thursday, August 16th. NO INSTRUMENTS on that day, however, it is important for you to come to class. See you then!
Welcome Back! Band Camp and Workshops were extremely successful and I’m so excited for the marching season and all the potential that is before us. Come see the Marching Spartans at our first home game to see how the show is progressing!
I hope everyone is looking forward to the start of school and a new year of fun and music. All groups have a tremendous year planned and we are looking forward to hearing all the great music all year long. Mark the calendar and concert dates now so you don’t miss them!
As much as I hate the end of summer, I love the beginning of school and all that is laid before us. Enjoy the ride as the year will fly by us!
Monday, August 13th
- 9am: High School Registration for all Band and Guard students
- Please check the school website for all the forms necessary. It will be handled just like the regular registration time. You’ll be able to pay, turn in forms, get your schedule, pick-up textbooks and speak to a counselor, if necessary. We still don’t know if a photographer will be for pictures and IDs, but your student should plan on attending make-up picture day which is scheduled for August 30th.
- Mr. Lyons, the Assistant Principal, is handling registration this year. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact him.
- Students will only need to meet with a counselor if there is an error in their schedule. The HS office has asked that they email their counselor. Again, all questions should be sent to Dr. Glazer or Mr. Lyons.
Tuesday, August 14th
- 5:30-8:30pm: First evening rehearsal.
Thursday, August 16th
- First Day of School!
- 5:30-8:30pm: Evening Rehearsal.
Friday, August 17th
- AwayFootball Game vs. Hoover
- 4pm: Call Time, Band Room
- Wear band shirts and jeans/shorts
- 5pm: Game Start
Saturday, August 18th
- 8am-12pm: Rehearsal on the field
To our Program Alumni
Yesterday after a toasty-warm bus ride out to Cal Poly Pomona, the 2018-19 Marching Spartans are at Band Camp!
This year’s Band and Guard has grown! It’s exciting! The field show is Altered Perspectives based on the artwork of Escher. Can’t wait to see how that shapes up and is displayed on the field!
We’re off to a great start! Staff and students will return from Band Camp on Friday, August 10th and the Music Parents will host its annual Family & Friends BBQ (with Grillmaster Dan Yoder doing tri-tip and vegetarian meals).
And, of course, YOU are INVITED! We would love to see our Alumni parents, students and friends!
The BBQ begins serving at 5pm in front of the North Gym and the Preview Show on the LCHS field will begin at approximately 6pm.
Please join us!
If you would like to order a BBQ meal, the cost is $10. Please let Nadia Ali, our special events coordinator, know that you will be coming.
Enjoy the remaining days of summer! Keep in touch!
We’re still looking for volunteers! Please consider helping us out… You’ll get to meet some of the students and staff that your student will be spending time with this year.
We still need a bus rider or two for the return trip on Friday, August 10th. Volunteers will need to meet at LCHS at 1pm and return to campus around 4pm.
If you are available and willing, please let Sandy Miller know.
Family BBQ / Preview Night:
We will need helpers to set-up, serve, and clean-up at the Family BBQ. Set-up will begin at 3pm. Serving begins at 5pm. Clean-up is when everyone has eaten. If you are available and willing, please let Elizabeth Bohannon know.
Monday, August 6th
- Workshops: 1pm-9pm
- Last day to turn in forms and payment for Band Camp.
- Your student will not be allowed to board the bus if the forms are not turned in.
- Last day for uniform fittings for Marching Band at 12:15pm. Color Guard will be fit at a later date.
Tuesday, August 7th
- 10am: Arrival to load truck.
- Pack a lunch to eat prior to departure.
- 11:45am: Off to Band Camp… Bus Loading
- 11:45am: Parent volunteers meet in front of school.
- Bathing Suit
- Good Cross Trainer Shoes
- Sleeping Bag or Sheets
- Sun block
- Water Bottle (Mandatory)
- Props for “Talent Nite”
- Cell Phone to call your parents and tell them how much you love and miss them
Do Not even think of bringing:
- Video Game Systems
All your items must fit in ONE BAG since we are limited on space. And yes it is possible to fit it in one bag. Workshops: 1pm-9pm
Wednesday, August 8th
- Band Camp!
Thursday, August 9th
- Band Camp!
Friday, August 10th
- 1pm: Parent volunteers meet at the front of school
- 4pm: Return from Band Camp
- 5pm: Family & Friends BBQ
- We are still taking orders… Place your order for tickets on the online form.
- The BBQ is a fun night to meet new parents, returning parents, and alumni!
- 6pm: Preview performance on the LCHS field of the debut of the first portion of the 2018 field show, Altered Perspectives.